
It was 32 years ago today I was standing next to my wife's hospital bed, going through all the Lamaze stuff and nearly dying with anticipation at the coming of our first child. The Doctor came in and smiled, time to check again. Suddenly the smile was gone and he begin giving orders that ended in "stat". I kept asking and he kept ignoring me. Finally a nurse told me the baby was breech."You just checked her yesterday, you said it was normal, what you don't know a head from a butt!" My Irish had risen. Still ignoring me he told the nurse to remove me. OK now I'm good and pissed and told the nurse to get several large orderlies, they would be needed if I was going anywhere. In all this confusion my suddenly very young and small wife said calmly "Please go", I left. I made a solemn vow to myself, win. lose, or draw I was going to kick that Doctor's butt. I've been afraid many times, but never so helplessly afraid.The nurse came out to say my wife still wanted to try a normal birth, but everything was ready if they needed a C section.Fourteen lifetimes later the nurse reappeared and asked if I wanted to see my daughter. The old granddaughter of a Kentucky tobacco farmer had done it the hard way. And I hugged and thanked the Doctor, I had a lot of growing up to do myself. This was about the only drama she caused us. A wonderful child , a successful adult and a loving daughter. Plus she gave us Ethan, charter member of the Little Rat Pack. Happy Birthday Bird I love ya.

0 Yorumlar